Thursday, February 28, 2013

Say "AAAAAAAH!!!"

You may not know this about me, but isopods freak me out (unlike these guys, apparently). What are isopods? They're crustaceans that haunt my dreams are found in marine, freshwater, and terrestrial environments. The only known isopod I will happily play with is the roly-poly. Other than that, I will turn into a little girl, scream, and run away (unless I'm on a boat, in which case I'll stay on board because those suckers are EVERYWHERE in the ocean). Why am I so creeped out by them?

Exhibit A:

he's not joking. he will.

Exhibit B:

God help this sweet kitten

And finally, Exhibit C:

isopod got your tongue?

Yes, folks. That's an isopod living in the mouth of a fish! This isn't the first time we've met a parasitic isopod. Remember the hyperparasite that lives on rhizocephalans that are themselves parasitizing crabs? They're awesome in the 'karma' sense, but that's about it.

Back to the tongue-eating isopod, my sister sent me an informative video about Cymothoa exigua:



That almost makes them seem endearing, but don't let the little cartoons fool you! They will eat your soul!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment