Monday, March 14, 2011

Crab Apple Salad

What do you think of when you hear “crab apple”?

This?

I grew up with a crab apple tree in my front yard,
but this picture was taken in Anchorage (December '06)

Or this?

bwahaha!
find this shirt here

Well I think of this delicious recipe! (You see what I did there? With the ‘apple’ and ‘crab’ put together for hilarious corny puns a-plenty?) We found it in a cookbook Costco gave us for Christmas. Totally random, I know.

Ingredients


1 lb crabmeat

1 large red delicious apple, cored and sliced

1 cup whole pecans

1 cup red seedless grapes

Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled, to taste [I do NOT like gorgonzola cheese, or any moldy cheese for that matter, so I normally replace it with feta or fresh mozzarella cheese]

½ cup mayo [the recipe calls for ¾ cup, but that was too much for this guy (thumbs pointing to me)]

⅔ cup light sour cream [again, the recipe calls for 1 cup, but I reduced that too]

Red leaf lettuce (we just used the artisanal lettuce mix from Costco)

Directions

1. Combine crabmeat, apple, pecans, grapes, and cheese in a bowl.

2. In a separate bowl, mix the mayo and sour cream together.

3. Add the mayo mix to the crab bowl and stir. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

4. Serve on a bed of lettuce and enjoy!

Makes 6-8 servings if you have it as a side dish

Yum! Even my salt and pepper shakers look excited!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I want to make it.

    Ben and I make Cheesy Crab Bread, its SO good. The recipe was given to us from a friend. A very good friend, because it's so delicious I can't believe she was willing to share!!

    Mash 1 clove of garlic and rub on the top of each toast.

    I baguette of french/italian bread
    1/4 lbs of butter (1 stick)
    8 oz of cream cheese
    salt&pepper to taste
    1/2 lbs of crabmeat

    Mix together, put mixture on toast, sprinkle with parmesan, and broil until slightly brown. (10min)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound good, Torrie! We'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where in the world did you get those salt & pepper shakers? If you could, please let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a gift, but I think they were found at Target. I'm not sure if they're still sold there, but a quick Google search brought up lots of cute crabby salt and pepper shakers!

      Delete